Research paper "Energy Efficiency across Programming Languages: How does energy, time, and memory relate?"

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 20 12:11:18 EDT 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 14:14:24 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:

> On 20 September 2017 at 13:58, alister via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:40:17 -0400, leam hall wrote:

>>> Many of us can't pip install; it's in the OS supplied vendor repo or
>>> it doesn't go on the machines.
>>>
>>> Leam
>>
>> dnf install <package>
>> or apt_get install <package>
>>
>> most of the mainstream modules seem to be there (certainly numpy)
>
> You're missing the point. A significant number of Python users work on
> systems where:
>
> 1. They have no admin rights 2. Their corporate or other policies
> prohibit installing 3rd party software without approval that is
> typically difficult or impossible to get 3. Quite possibly the system
> has no network access outside of the local intranet 4. The system admins
> may not be able or willing to upgrade or otherwise modify the system
> Python
>
> Writing code that works only with stdlib modules is basically the only
> option in such environments.
>
> Having said that, I don't advocate that everything be in the stdlib
> because of this. A lot of things (such as numpy) belong as 3rd party
> packages. But that doesn't mean that "get XYZ off PyPI" (or "install XYZ
> alternative Python distribution/version") is a viable solution to every
> problem.
>
> Paul

not missing the point you said previously "it's in the OS supplied vendor
repo or it doesn't go on the machines."

dnf/yum or apt_get install form the "vendor supplied repo"

I fully understand that even this may require various hoops to be jumped
through before it can happen

--
Minnie Mouse is a slow maze learner.