Even Older Man Yells at Whippersnappers

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Sep 19 16:41:19 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 19 September 2017 13:38:42 ROGER GRAYDON CHRISTMAN wrote:

>  I recall giving a quiz to my college students sometime back around
> the late nineties which had a little bit of arithmetic involved in the
> answer. It's been too long ago to still have the exact details, but I
> remember a couple solutions that would be of the form:
>
> 5 + 10 + 1*2
>
> And then the student would write he was unable to actually
> compute that without a calculator.   And yes, I deliberately
> designed the questions to have such easy numbers to work with.
>
> Roger Christman
> Pennsylvania State University

Why do we buy them books and send them to school?

Yes, that is a real question. We ought to be suing the schools for
malpractice.  And the parents for child abuse because they didn't see to
it the child was being properly taught. I know from raising some of
those questions at a school board meeting, occasioned by my trying to
act like a parent when I took on a woman with 3 children fathered by a
myotonic muscular dystrophy victim. Those offspring typically have a 30
year lifespan so they are long passed now.

And being told they have to follow the federal recipes.  So who the hell
do we sue to put some "education" back into the classroom?  The only way
we'll fix it is to cost the decision makers their salaries.  And we
start that by talking to the candidates, and voting them in or out
accordingly in those regions where they are elected.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)