Even Older Man Yells At Whippersnappers

D'Arcy Cain darcy at VybeNetworks.com
Tue Sep 19 10:24:10 EDT 2017

On 09/19/2017 03:07 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> How relevant is the "people use calculators to do arithmetic" argument
>> today?  Okay, so I'm old and cynical, but I know [young] people who
>> don't (can't?) calculate a gratuity without an app or a web page.
>
> Which is a form of calculator. People still learn to use calculators at
> school, they still use them at work. They use Excel, which is prone to

Wow.  I still remember decrying the use of calculators in school.  It
seemed like the loss of actual math understanding.  When I was young
(and not running from dinosaurs) we learned the addition and
multiplication tables by heart (and received a few sore knuckles while
we struggled) and then learned to do math by paper and pencil.  When it
was time for a mechanical aid we got a slide rule.  I truly believe that
doing so gave me the best understanding of math that I could get.  Now,
of course, I use calculators and computers but I still understand the
theory behind what I am doing.

To this day while writing code I will actually put pen to paper in order
to check that my program is doing the correct calculations.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Vybe Networks Inc.