Old Man Yells At Cloud

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Tue Sep 19 09:12:55 EDT 2017

On 19 Sep 2017, at 13:01, bartc wrote:

> My bill in a store came to £3.20 (GBP3.20), so I handed over £10.20.
>
> I was given back £16.90 in change!
>
> It turned out the cashier had entered £20.10 as the amount tendered.
> It was sorted out in the end.
>
> Sometimes its easier not to be bother making the figures come out
> better.

My father & mother worked in a grocery shop ... pre-electronic version,
and to make things faster during the checkout they summarised some of
things in their head so they only had to enter it once, for example 7
liter of milk + 1 cream. I must say they were VERY VERY good in
calculating +/-/* in their heads.

As a kid I learned to do it to some degree but nowhere close to them.

And I'm amazed how often I see people trying to calculate

     change = sum handed over - cost

and then trying to figure out what bills/coins should be returned
instead of doing the simple thing of just adding to the cost.

= jem