Stdlib, what's in, what's out

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Sep 19 04:05:27 EDT 2017

John Ladasky schrieb am 19.09.2017 um 08:54:
> I have come to understand from your other posts that adding something to
> the stdlib imposes significant constraints on the release schedules of
> those modules.  I can appreciate the hassle that might cause.  Still,
> now I wonder what I might be missing.

There are many packages on PyPI that reimplement functionality of the
stdlib in some "better" way, by their own definition of "better". Some are
faster, some are more feature-rich, some have a better API, some focus on
making specific special cases faster/easier/whatever.

The stdlib is there to provide a base level of functionality. That base
level tends to be much higher up than in most other programming languages,
but from the point of view of Python, it's still just a base level, however
comfortable it might be.

If you need specific features, more speed, can't live with a certain API or
feel that you are wasting too much developer time by doing something the
way you always did it, search PyPI for something "better" by your own
definition at a given time.

If you can live with what the stdlib provides, stick to it. Keeping foreign
dependencies low is also "better" in some cases.

Stefan