Research paper "Energy Efficiency across Programming Languages: How does energy, time, and memory relate?"

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 20:23:12 EDT 2017

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:01:41 PM UTC-5, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> [...]
> - a giant down-pointing arrowhead, about three inches tall,
> which turns grey when you mouse-over it but doesn't do
> anything when clicked;

Oh, it does something, just not an _obvious_ something. LOL.
I tried to warn you about the dangers of implicitness, but
alas, you had to learn the hard way! Steven, you should know
better than to click on giant arrow buttons. At this moment,
some Russian hacker is sifting through your browser history.
Might be a good idea to cancel your credit cards...

>[...]
> And that's not even counting any additional files the page
> requires, like CSS, external javascript files, images, ads,
> web-bugs, etc. You want to know why browsing the web today
> on full ADSL or faster speeds is *slower* than using a dial
> up modem in the 1990s? This is why.
>
> www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2008/05/why_your_internet_experience_i.html
>
> Nine years later, and the problem is worse, not better.

I was wondering what could compel you to go off on such a
ridiculous rant over a simple slow loading page, but now i'm
starting to think this is all a giant charade so you could
direct traffic to some random blog.