Old Man Yells At Cloud

Roel Schroeven roel at roelschroeven.net
Mon Sep 18 15:46:24 EDT 2017

Steve D'Aprano schreef op 17/09/2017 3:09:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 04:00 am, Stefan Ram wrote:
>
>> Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> writes:
>>> "Hi, I've been programming in Python for what seems like days now, and here's
>>> all the things that you guys are doing wrong.
>>   I never ever have written a line of Python 2. I started with
>>   Python 3.6.0. Yet a very frequent mistake of mine is the
>>   imission of parentheses after »print«.
>
> That's remarkable.
>
> Do you also forget the parentheses around `len`, and `iter`, and `math.sin()`?
> If not, what's so special about print?

I don't know, but I also frequently forget the parentheses around
`print`. I do have Python 2 experience so maybe it's just a habit that
I've been unable to grow out of yet. OTOH I also regulary use `printf()`
and friends in C and C++ and sometimes even PHP, and there I never
forget the parentheses. I don't know how, I don't know why, it just happens.

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeven