Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Mon Sep 18 09:24:32 EDT 2017

On 2017-09-18 03:11, Rick Johnson wrote:
> MRAB wrote:
>> Rick Johnson wrote:

>>> Oops, _two_ characters! What about the opening "bracket"?
>>>
>> What about the space that usually comes after 'print' in
>> Python 2, but not in Python 3?
>
> True. But let's not forget that spaces are one keystroke
> whereas an open round-bracket is ^9 and a closing round-
> bracket is ^0.

Let's absolutely forget it! The fact that you happen to use {insert
favourite keyboard layout here} is not a valid consideration for
language design. (What characters are likely to be easily accessible on
most programmers' keyboards around the world is. The details of your
keyboard aren't.)

> Speaking in _keystrokes_, and that's what really matters
> here, a print function is always three more keystrokes than
> a print statement.

Or perhaps, in analogy to playing a guitar, a keystroke can involve
multiple (partially or practically simultaneous) keypresses. In which
case, no.

--
Thomas Jollans