Old Man Yells At Cloud

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 21:41:05 EDT 2017

> > That said, I'm neither here nor there when it comes to
> > using print-as-a-statement vs print-as-a-function.  I like
> > the consistency it brings to the language, but miss the
> > simplicity that Py2 had for new users.  I'd almost want to
> > get it back as a feature of the REPL, even if it wasn't
> > part of the language itself,
>
> Agreed on that point. At least bring it back in the REPL.
> The removal of the finger friendly print statement has
> caused more tension in this community than any feature of
> such small stature should ever cause.
>

>>> x = 42
>>> x
42

x (1 keystroke) is easy to type than `print x` (7 keystrokes).
While sometimes print(x) is different x (which uses repr), it's enough for
most cases.
So I can't agree it's REPL unfriendly.

BTW, IPython is nice REPL and it has parenthee free function call.
I recommend you to use it if you're not happy with builtin REPL.

Regards,

--
Inada Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com>