Old Man Yells At Cloud

Christopher Reimer christopher_reimer at icloud.com
Sun Sep 17 21:09:11 EDT 2017

> On Sep 17, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/17 1:38 AM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>> /rant on
>>
>> So apparently everyone who disagrees that Python should be more like Javascript
>> is an old greybeard fuddy-duddy yelling "Get off my lawn!" to the cool kids --
>> and is also too stupid to know how dumb they are.
>>
>> "Hi, I've been programming in Python for what seems like days now, and here's
>> all the things that you guys are doing wrong. I insist that you fix them
>> immediately, it doesn't matter how much code it will break, that's not
>> important. What is important is that Javascript programmers like me shouldn't
>> be expected to learn anything new or different when they program with Python."
>>
>> /rant off
>>
>> And no, for once it wasn't Ranting Rick.
>
> The thing that struck me about the interaction (on Python-Ideas, btw) was that Javascript actually is adding new language features at an impressive pace, and many of them seem very Pythonic.  But they sometimes choose different syntax.
>
> For example, their "spread" operator is ..., where Python uses *:
>
>     new_list = [new_start, *old_list, new_end]
>
> vs:
>
>     new_array = [new_start, ...old_array, new_end]
>
> Making Python more like Javascript (in this case) would have required breaking existing Python programs. Javascript could have use * as the spread operator without breaking anyone. But they didn't, and I wonder if anyone petitioned them to keep compatibility with Python to easy the plight of the multi-lingual programmer.
>
> --Ned.
> --

I came across a blog post that pointed out that those who advocate for a particular JavaScript framework probably know enough JavaScript for the framework but not enough JavaScript to figure out a problem with the framework. Since frameworks are an abstraction of JavaScript, you really need to know JavaScript to avoid getting stuck with a framework. I know enough JavaScript to get the JQuery eye candy to work and I'm confused by all the frameworks available. I picked up a JavaScript ebook to familiarize myself with the language. This isn't the same JavaScript that I learned in the early 2000's.

Chris R.