Old Man Yells At Cloud

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 06:03:16 EDT 2017

Different view, I guess. I'm glad all the young Javascripters have that
issue. As an old guy trying to re-learn more python it gives me an
advantage. I'm usually interested in the best thislanguage-native way to
do something. Doing so makes me learn the language faster and tends to
generate better code.

That said, I'll often steal what I've learned before to understand the
new. Some helpful folks on IRC asked why I was using getopt instead of
argparse. Mostly because I come from a bash background. Looking at
Python's argparse would have stumped me if I hadn't already done the
same thing with Ruby's argparse.

I'm still trying to figure out how to convert a string to unicode in
Python 2. I've done it in Ruby 1.8.7 so I assume Python 2 can do it and
that I'm just a bit slow.

Leam