Change project licence?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 16:28:42 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 6:04 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally, even if you are the sole copyright holder, while you can change
> the license on your code at any time to any terms, you cannot change the
> license on code that has already been forked under your original GPLv3
> license. In other words, if someone clones your project before the
> license change, they can continue under original license, as per its
> terms.  You can't retroactively change the license on code that's
> already been distributed, at least under the terms of the GPLv3. (I'm
> sure there's some license somewhere that expressly states the terms can
> be retroactively modified. But not the GPLv3.)

This is true; however the choice of license makes this moot. Code
licensed MIT can be used in anything, so it can be GPL3'd to go into
another project or anything. But yes, the old versions will still be
available under the terms of the GPL3; you can make them *also*
available under another license, but you aren't revoking the previous
one.

ChrisA