Change project licence?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 13:56:59 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:22 AM, Kryptxy via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an opensource (python) project under GPL3 licence. I wish switch to MIT licence so as to make it more permissive.
> I know how to change the licence, but I want to know is it fine and wise to change the licence at this point?
> (The project already has 19 clones, 250+ GitHub stars. Here: https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench)
>
> Thank you.

Only if every contributor says it's okay. Anything that you create
(and own copyright on), you can license under any terms you like; if
anyone else has contributed anything to the project, you have to get
their permission to relicense it.

For solo projects, that's simple. For huge things like the CPython
interpreter, it's virtually impossible.

ChrisA