The Incredible Growth of Python (stackoverflow.blog)

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 02:53:04 EDT 2017

> I know when I install a new OS (currently Debian 9 which was released
> a month or so ago) and type "python" on the command line, I get Py2.

It's to keep compatibility for Python 2 only scripts.
It doesn't mean Python 2 is default Python.

Debian and Ubuntu working hard to move Python 3 as default.
Most packages depends on Python 3, not 2.

When installing Ubuntu, there are no "python" command.
Python 3 is installed as default, but Python 2 not.

Regards,

INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>