The Incredible Growth of Python (stackoverflow.blog)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Sep 14 00:37:50 EDT 2017

On 9/13/2017 2:44 AM, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Are there actually Py3 codebases?

Let's think a bit.  There is the Python half of the Python3 codebase,
perhaps 400K.  But we can discount that.

Then there are all the Py compatible modules on PyPI, which is to say,
most of the major one.  How could not not notice those?

One of them is a little project call Django.  I believe that this is the
one slated to be 3.x only in its 2.0 version.

I believe at least one linux distribution uses Py 3 for its system python.

A year ago, a producers of a Unicode-based app sold internationallly
announce that their next version would be Py 3 only.  When 3.3 came out
with the new Unicode implementation, they developed a 3.3 version of the
app.  By 3.5, they realized that 3.3+ unicode made things much easier,
wile maintaining the 2.7 version was painful by comparison.  They asked
their (non-programmer) customers if they already used the 3.x version or
could install 3.x to run the 3.x version.  95% said yes to one of these.
  So they decided that the next version, early this year, would be 3.x only.

Have you ever hear of a little startup called 'Instagram'?  Earlier this
year, they announce that they had about finished an 18 month process of
switching most of their Python code to 3.x.  They described in fair
detail how they did it.  Really impressive.

--
Terry Jan Reedy