"tkinter"

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:09:40 EDT 2017

On 2017-09-13, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:58:01 +0200, Thomas Jollans <tjol at tjol.eu> declaimed
> the following:
>
>>On 2017-09-13 16:47, Rick Johnson wrote:
>>> leam hall wrote:
>>> {TEE-KAY-ENTER}
>>
>>enter? not inter?
>
> 	Well... we aren't planning on burying it, are we?

I tried to write a small (but non-trivial) Tcl app once[1], and would
happily vote to bury Tcl and then might even dance on its grave.
Tkinter, OTOH, is great for small, simple GUI apps -- with a few
caveats:

 1. You have to grit your teeth because you know there's a Tcl
    interpreter buried in the details.

 2. When you package up a trivial Tkinter application using something
    like py2exe, it balloons up to a ginormous size (way larger than
    the equivalent app written using wxPython).  I assume this is
    caused largely by 1.

 3. No matter how hard you try, Tkinter apps always look a bit
    foreign.  I've just given up trying to them to look like native
    apps: it doesn't work, and it annoys the mule.

[1] After wasting several days fighting with TCL's quoting sematics, I
    gave up and wrote the app in Scheme (and was done in a couple
    hours).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! hubub, hubub, HUBUB,
                                  at               hubub, hubub, hubub, HUBUB,