The Incredible Growth of Python (stackoverflow.blog)

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 12 08:28:06 EDT 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:20 pm, Leam Hall wrote:

> But if someone comes onto the list, or IRC, and says they need to stay
> on Python 2 then please drop the dozens of e-mails and comments about
> upgrading.
[...]
> My recent experience with some people's inability to take "Sorry, I
> can't" for an answer has been a real turn-off. I have requirements that
> dictate Python. If this was a personal venture I'd already be elsewhere
> purely because the Python community on the list and IRC is so unwelcoming.

Leam, I've defended people choosing to remain on older versions of Python, even
as old as 1.5. The most recent was just a couple of minutes ago, in my response
to Chris. It's not nice or friendly of you to tar the entire community with a
reputation because of one or two people saying something you don't want to
debate.

But it isn't all about you. Just because you started this thread -- oh wait, you
didn't *wink* -- doesn't mean you control its direction. If people want to
discuss the pros and cons of upgrading, without specifically badgering you, you
should remember that *it isn't about you* and don't take it personally.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.