windows 8 versus urllib2 certificate verify

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Sep 11 11:29:09 EDT 2017

I have an application built on 32 bit windows 7 with python 2.7.10.
The application runs fine on windows 7 and older windows machines, but it is
failing to connect properly using urllib2 when run on windows 8.

The error CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED indcates this is some issue with urllib2 not
being able to verify the remote certificate.

This is pyinstaller so the python and python library seem to be constant. I
thought I understood that python uses its own cert path, but obviously I am wrong.

Googling sort of implies I might need certifi to be installed, but is that true?

Why does this fail only on windows 8?
--
Robin Becker