People choosing Python 3

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 08:40:53 EDT 2017

On 11 September 2017 at 13:07, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fortunately, it's not that hard to type "python3" all the time. OS
> distributions can progressively shift to using that name, and then
> eventually not ship a Py2 until/unless something depends on it, all
> without losing backward compatibility.

My main objections to needing to type "python3" are:

* It perpetuates the illusion that Python 3 isn't the "real" Python,
and creates a feedback loop that makes it harder to persuade people
that we're ready to make Python 3 the default.
* It makes it harder to write cross-platform instructions that
encompass Windows, which doesn't have a "python3" executable.

But both of these are weak arguments and as usual, practicality beats purity.

Paul