Run Windows commands from Python console

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 12:39:09 EDT 2017

Stephan Houben wrote:
> Rick Johnson schreef:
>
> > One of the nice (current) features of Tkinter menus (that
> > i sometimes miss on my windows box!) is the ability to
> > "tear- off" a menu cascade and use it as a sort of "pseudo
> > tool bar".
>
> I was under the impression that Tk also supported tear-off
> menus under Windows (but not under macOS).

And it does. I was only complaining that the Microsoft
Windows GUI does not have this feature, not that it is
unavailable on Windows + Python + Tkinter. Sorry for the
confusion.

> However, many applications apparently explicitly suppress
> this functionality by doing
>
>   Menu(..., tearoff=0)

Yes, which is unfortunate, as the decision should be made by
the enduser, not the dev. I myself have been guilty of
suppressing this feature in my own applications, which is
evidence that these usability features should bypass the
developer entirely, and be controlled exclusively by the end
user. We devs have a tendency to think that we know what is
best for our users (*cough* pydev!), but even modest
experience with modern software would prove that assertion
to be wrong.

It seems to me the best solution is for the TCL/Tk folks to
provide a configuration utility that stores user preferences
in the registry, or some other OS provided mechanism, as to
have these settings reset on every invocation of the
application would be inefficient from an enduser
perspective. I suppose we could implement such a
configuration utility exclusively for Tkinter, if we wanted,
and perhaps it would serve as a model for the Tk folks...