Using Python 2

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 09:59:35 EDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 8:57:56 AM UTC-5, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>> On 9/8/17 6:12 AM, Leam Hall wrote:
>> > I've read comments about Python 3 moving from the Zen of Python. I'm a
>> > "plain and simple" person myself. Complexity to support what CompSci
>> > folks want, which was used to describe some of the Python 3 changes,
>> > doesn't help me get work done.
>>
>> I've heard a lot of FUD about the Python 3 transition, but this one is
>> new to me.  What is it that CompSci folks want that developers don't
>> want, that ruined Python 3?
>
> TWO WORDS: "Type" and "Hints"

Fail.

1. Type hints were only added in 3.5, not Python 3.0, so this does not
support the claim that Python 3 changes were made to support CS.

2. Type hints are completely optional, so this does not support the
claim that Python 3 added complexity that is counter-productive to
"simple" users. If you want to keep your program simple, you can: just
don't use them.

3. Type hints are practical. You may not need or desire them for pet
projects, but large-scale projects with a large team of developers
require a large degree of testing. Static typing supports this. This
is a feature for enterprise users, not theorists.