People choosing Python 3

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 05:42:15 EDT 2017

On 10 September 2017 at 11:24, Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/2017 04:19 AM, Chris Warrick wrote:

>>> I can't wait till Python 3 is available on Red Hat.
>>

>> Python 3.4 is available in EPEL. RHEL 8 will switch to Python 3 as the
>> main Python interpreter (assuming dnf replaces yum, as it did in
>> Fedora a while back).
>>

> I'm not sure that RHEL 8 will be Python 3 for the OS tools. Even if it is,
> which version?

RHEL’s release process starts at forking a recent Fedora release. It
wouldn’t make much sense for them to undo the Python 3 progress that
happened over the past few years in Fedora — including dnf, an
improved package manager written in Python 3. If the fork happened
today, the base release would be Fedora 26, which includes Python 3.6,
and some install options don’t include Python 2.

PGP: 5EAAEA16