People choosing Python 3

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Sep 10 05:34:05 EDT 2017

Chris Warrick <kwpolska at gmail.com>:

> On 10 September 2017 at 09:30, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> I can't wait till Python 3 is available on Red Hat.
>
> Python 3.4 is available in EPEL.

As an application developer, I can't make the customers depend on EPEL.
It's Python2 until the distro comes with Python3.

> RHEL 8 will switch to Python 3 as the main Python interpreter
> (assuming dnf replaces yum, as it did in Fedora a while back).

No sign of RHEL 8 anywhere. My guess it will happen in late 2018.

What I'm asking myself is why Red Hat isn't adding Python3 to RHEL 7. I
was very disappointed when 7.4 didn't have it.

Marko