Design: method in class or general function?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 21:48:16 EDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 7:16:25 AM UTC-5, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>> Python 2.6 is ancient,
>
> Enough with your hyperbole! Python 2.6 is no where near
> being ancient. Python 2.6 is a stable version that gets the
> job done for many folks in this community. Folks who
> actually spend their time getting things done, instead of
> polishing GvR's knob and spending every waking hour in the
> echo chamber of Python-dev and Python-ideas.

Python 2.6.9 is the final security-only source-only maintenance
release of the Python 2.6 series. With its release on October 29,
2013, all official support for Python 2.6 has ended. Python 2.6 is no
longer being maintained for any purpose.

-- PEP 361

Python 2.6 went out of support four years ago, or earlier if you
depend on published binaries. If by "stable" you mean that it's
utterly static, then go use Python 1.5 - it's been stable for longer.

I'm with Steve on this. Python 2.6 is ancient.

ChrisA