Using Python 2

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 08:51:08 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>> But as others have said, upgrading to 3.4+ is not as hard as many
>> people fear, and your code generally improves as a result
>
> That's somewhat irrelevant. Point is, Python 2 will quickly become a
> pariah in many corporations during or after 2018, and we are going to
> see emergency measures similar to the Y2K craze twenty years ago.
>
> The risk to Python will be whether the occasion is exploited by fanboys
> of competing programming languages. The migration from Python 2 might be
> to something else than Python 3 in some circles.

And the sky is going to fall on Chicken Little's head, any day now.

Let's see. You can port your code from Python 2.7 to Python 3.6 by
running a script and then checking the results for bytes/text
problems.

You can port your code from Python 2.7 to Ruby by paying developers
big bucks for a good while.

Advantage: Ruby, obviously, because it's easier to change languages
than to audit your code for places where you had lurking bugs that you
didn't know about.

ChrisA