Using Python 2

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 07:12:36 EDT 2017

On 09/08/2017 06:40 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com>:
>> However, those millions of servers are running Python 2.6 and a
>> smaller number running 2.7. At least in the US market since Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux and its derivatives run 2.6.6 (RHEL 6) or 2.7.5 (RHEL
>> 7). Not sure what Python SuSE uses but they seem to have a fairly
>> large European footprint. RHEL 7 goes out the active support door (End
>> of Production Phase 3) mid-2024.
>
> Ok, the owners of those millions of servers have a problem in their
> hands.
>
> What you are saying is that there will be a bonanza next year for Python
> 2-to-3 consultants. It will also involve a forced upgrade to RHEL 8
> (which is nowhere in sight yet).

Not really, though a growing market is good. The OS system tools are in
Python 2 so that's what is installed. Nothing prevents an application
from installing Python 3, it just can't overwrite the OS python.

Application developers can put Python 3 in /usr/local or can use one of
the probably older python3 rpm stacks. My dev box has both the OS Python
2.6.6 and Python 3.6.2 called as python3.