Need to pass a class instance to a gettext fallback

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 04:22:14 EDT 2017

Hi Peter

Your code worked, but I did some changes. First of all: I decided that I don't really needed to pass the py_plugin instance. I only needed an attribute called: self._language. Anyway, if I passed it without doing anything else, I got:
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'language'

In this call inside the MissingTranslationsFallback class.
super(MissingTranslationsFallback, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)

The error is clear, the constructor of: "gettext.GNUTranslations" isn't expecting an argument called: 'language', so, I removed it before doing the call:
language = kwargs['language']
del kwargs['language']
super(MissingTranslationsFallback, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)

And it worked. Thanks a lot for your help. Now it looks nice without those nasty global variables :-)

Here the resulting code:
class TranslationService(object):
  """...__init__ and other methods are defined here"""

  def install(self):
    """...some code goes here..."""
    current_catalog = gettext.translation(plugin_name, localedir = locale_folder,
                                                                       class_= functools.partial(
                                                                       MissingTranslationsFallback,
                                                                       language = self._language
                                                                      ),
                                                                      languages = [current_language]
                                     )
    current_catalog.install()

class MissingTranslationsFallback(gettext.GNUTranslations, object):
  def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
    language = kwargs['language']
    del kwargs['language']
    super(MissingTranslationsFallback, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
    self.add_fallback(MissingTranslationsLogger(language))

Best regards
Josef