tictactoe script - commented - may have pedagogical value

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 21:40:32 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Steve D'Aprano
<steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 03:56 am, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 3:53 AM, Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 06/09/17 18:16, Stefan Ram wrote:
> [...]
>>>>

> web.archive.org/web/20040428174214/http://www.geocities.com/flo_kreidler/tictactoe.html
>>>

>>> Presumably they stop taking you seriously at that point?
>>
>> Yes, in the same way that people stopped taking me seriously when I
>> implemented Fizz Buzz in CSS.
>>
>> Though they were rather amused...
>
> CSS is Turing complete. If they stopped taking you seriously, that speaks
> volumes about *them* rather than either you or CSS.

In terms of "how do we teach JavaScript to our students", a
demonstration that you can solve the programming challenge without JS
isn't *quite* the point. The point of it was proof of concept and
amusement, so it's done its job even when people weren't taking the
suggestion seriously.

> I am intrigued by the (alleged?) HTML version of tic-tac-toe. Can somebody
> explain what it is doing and how it works?

Basically it's all fragment links. You click on a cell and the page
jumps down or up to the board that looks like that. If you scale
everything to the window size, you can make it look pretty smooth.

IMO it's probably best to generate the HTML with a script.

ChrisA