execfile and import not working

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Wed Sep 6 04:55:20 EDT 2017

On 2017-09-06 10:14, Friedrich Rentsch wrote:
> Hi, I am setting up Python 2.7 after an upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04, a
> thorough one, leaving no survivors. Everything is fine, IDLE opens,
> ready to go. Alas, execfile and import commands don't do my bidding, but
> hang IDLE. All I can do is kill the process named "python" from a bash
> terminal. IDLE then is still open, says "=== RESTART: Shell ===" and is
> again ready for action. It works interactively, but no imports . . .
> What could be the problem?

Some debugging ideas:

- Do imports work if you start "python" from the terminal, rather than
using IDLE? If not, is there an error message?
- If python (in the terminal) hangs, and you press Ctrl+C, what happens?
- If you start idle from the terminal and do what you've been doing so
far, are there any error messages?
- What if you kill idle instead of python?

--
Thomas Jollans