Please improve these comprehensions (was meaning of [ ])

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Sep 6 01:45:23 EDT 2017

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 01:31:56 +0000, Stefan Ram wrote:

> Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> writes:
>>On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 12:19 am, Rustom Mody wrote:
>>>And how do you write even the simplest assignment statement without a
>>>(mathematical) expression on the rhs?
>>name = other_name is not a mathematical expression. Its giving something
>>a new name.
>
>   In mathematics, every author is free to give his own definitions to
>   concepts and create his own notation.
[...]
>   Of course, definitions of the form
>
> x := 2 y := x

Indeed they do. Perhaps I should have said that the Python assignment

name = other_name

is not *necessarily* a mathematical expression, but can also be used to
give an object a new name.

We can argue whether mathematics has assignment at all, or merely has
definitions. That's a level of hair-splitting where I'm happy to sit on
the fence and not give an opinion as to whether the mathematical
definition:

    y = 2

is or is not the same as the Python assignment:

    y = 2

--
Steven D'Aprano
“You are deluded if you think software engineers who can't write