Please improve these comprehensions (was meaning of [ ])

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 21:28:02 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 6:27:24 AM UTC+5:30, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 12:19 am, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > And how do you write even the simplest assignment statement without a
> > (mathematical) expression on the rhs?
>
> name = other_name
>
> is not a mathematical expression. Its giving something a new name.
>
> name = obj.attribute
>
> is not a mathematical expression. (That's not a dot product.)

Ok you win (that)
[And I see your stocks of straw are overflowing. Wholesale prices?]

> > What were Turing, Church, von Neumann, even Knuth by training? Mathematicians
> > or CS-ists?
> >
> > And what are the contributions of Turing, Church, von Neumann, Knuth to CS?
>
> Who cares? We're talking about Python, not Computer Science.

He who forgets history is doomed to repeat it.
Start with your own statement: “Lisp is a functional language”
And see the history a little bit more
http://blog.languager.org/2015/04/cs-history-1.html

1960 : McCarthy got the idea of functional programming from an earlier invention
of a certain Backus called 'The Formula Translator' which would later
shorten to ForTran

1980s: The functional programming community was decrying lisp:
"Success of lisp set back the development of functional programming by 10 years"

And most significant: “McCarthy did not consider Lisp to be a functional language”

Of course nothing to be surprised here: You know more java than old java-heads
And more lisp than John McCarthy 😉