Run Windows commands from Python console

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 5 02:34:48 EDT 2017

On 9/4/2017 5:50 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> In IDLE, trackbacks *do* include source lines.
>>
>>   >>> def f():
>> 	return 1/0
>>
>>   >>> f()
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>     File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in <module>
>>       f()
>>     File "<pyshell#1>", line 2, in f
>>       return 1/0
>> ZeroDivisionError: division by zero
>
> One of the few things that IDLE did better than Python,
> which is much more informative than:
>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>     File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>     File "<stdin>", line 2, in f
>> ZeroDivisionError: division by zero
>
> I think newbies would find IDLE's explicit messaging to be
> more intuitive compared to standard Python. Counting lines
> is never any fun, and even if you're only dealing with a
> few, it's both annoying and inefficient.
>
> When i'm away from an editor (like IDLE, for instance), one
> of the features i miss most is the ability to right click
> the line of the exception message (you know, the one that
> includes the offending line number and offending script
> filepath), and choose "open script for editing" from a
> contextual menu, which will open the script and
> automatically scroll down to the offending line for me.
> Ahhh, efficient bliss.

'Goto file/line' also works on the grep/find-in-files Output Window.  I
must have used this about 30 times in 8 outputs tonight try to track
down bugs in a proposed IDLE patch.  There were no tracebacks, just
thinkgs not working.

I plan to make it a bit faster by moving the option to the top of the
menu.  I have thought about making it even faster by not having to use
the context menu -- just click, or maybe double click, and the jump
happens.  What do you think?

--
Terry Jan Reedy