Case-insensitive string equality

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sun Sep 3 21:57:07 EDT 2017

On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 09:10 am, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Stefan Ram wrote:
>>   But of
>>   course, actually the rules of orthography require "Maße" or
>>   "Masse" and do not allow "MASSE" or "MASZE", just as in
>>   English, "English" has to be written "English" and not
>>   "english" or "ENGLISH".
>
> While "english" is wrong in English, there's no rule
> against using  "ENGLISH" as an all-caps version.

It's not always wrong. If you're e.e. cummings, then you're allowed to avoid
capitals. (If you're anyone else, you're either a derivative hack, or lazy.)
And if you are referring to the spin applied to billiard balls, it is
acceptable to write it as english.

> Are you saying that all-caps text is not allowed in
> German? If so, that's very different from English.

Germans use ALLCAPS for headlines, book titles, emphasis etc just as English
speakers do. For example: http://www.spiegel.de/politik/index.html

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.