Python noob having a little trouble with strings

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 13:27:22 EDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 1:14 AM, Christopher Reimer
<christopher_reimer at icloud.com> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2017, at 1:49 AM, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet3 at hjp.at> wrote:
>>
>> BTW, I find it hard to believe that PyCharm for the Mac "comes with"
>> Python 2.6. Python 2.6 is quite old. The Linux version isn't bundled
>> with a python interpreter and just uses whatever is already installed on
>> the machine. I guess it's the same for the Mac: Your version of MacOS
>> happens to include Python 2.6, so this is what PyCharm uses.
>
> I find it hard to believe that a professor would recommend downloading an IDE at the start of an intro class. Students usually start off with a text editor.

No, I can definitely believe it. Among other advantages, getting
everyone onto a cross-platform IDE will tend to paper over a lot of OS
differences. You have three sets of instructions for downloading some
IDE for Lin/Mac/Win, and then everything else is just "here's how you
do it in <this IDE>".

ChrisA