from packaging import version as pack_version ImportError: No module named packaging

Lutz Horn lutz.horn at posteo.de
Fri Oct 27 10:13:43 EDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 03:56:39PM +0200, David Gabriel wrote:
> from packaging import version as pack_version
> ImportError: No module named packaging
>
> I googled it and I have found so many suggestions regarding updating
> 'pip' and installing python-setuptools but all of these did not fix
> this issue.

So many questions:

* What is your Python version?
* Do you use virtualenv?
* How?
* Did you install packaging in this virtualenv?

Just one example of making this work:

$ mkdir /tmp/pack
$ cd /tmp/pack
$ virtualenv -p $(which python3.5) .
Running virtualenv with interpreter /usr/bin/python3.5
Using base prefix '/usr'
New python executable in /tmp/pack/bin/python3.5
Also creating executable in /tmp/pack/bin/python
Installing setuptools, pkg_resources, pip, wheel...done.
$ source bin/activate
$ pip3 install packaging
Collecting packaging
  Using cached packaging-16.8-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting six (from packaging)
  Using cached six-1.11.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Collecting pyparsing (from packaging)
  Using cached pyparsing-2.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: six, pyparsing, packaging
Successfully installed packaging-16.8 pyparsing-2.2.0 six-1.11.0
$ python3.5
Python 3.5.2 (default, Sep 14 2017, 22:51:06)
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.