Compression of random binary data

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Mon Oct 23 23:51:37 EDT 2017

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 01:27 pm, danceswithnumbers at gmail.com wrote:

> Finally figured out how to turn this into a random binary compression
> program. Since my transform can compress more than dec to binary. Then i
> took a random binary stream, changed it to a decimal stream 0-9 tranformed
> it into a compressed/encrypted binary stream 23.7% smaller.

Smaller than the original binary stream? I don't think so.

There's nothing clever about "compressing" a random binary stream if first you
expand it, then remove the extra space you added and claim victory because
the result is smaller than the expanded version.

> Yes! Decode reverse is easy......sorry so excited i could shout.

Then this should be easy for you:

http://marknelson.us/2012/10/09/the-random-compression-challenge-turns-ten/

All you need to do is compress this file:

http://marknelson.us/attachments/million-digit-challenge/AMillionRandomDigits.bin

to less than 415241 bytes, and you can win $100.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.