choice of web-framework

John Black jblack at nopam.com
Mon Oct 23 15:37:48 EDT 2017

In article <mailman.0.1508668886.2821.python-list at python.org>,
rosuav at gmail.com says...
> For the database, I generally use PostgreSQL, unless the job's so
> simple it can be done with flat files. Using Flask with SQLAlchemy is
> a popular option, but you can also dive into psycopg2 directly (the
> "2" doesn't mean "Python 2.7 only", it's fine). The tech stack
> Python+Flask+SQLAlchemy+PostgreSQL+Linux is an extremely solid one, or
> you can switch out any part fairly easily.
>
> Disclaimer: I use Flask and SQLAlchemy when I'm teaching my students
> how to build web apps in Python, but I don't have much experience with
> any other frameworks or ORMs. Other options may very well be viable
> and/or superior; all I can say is that the above *is* viable.

Chris, thanks for all this detailed information.  I am confused though
with your database recommendation.  You say you teach SQLAlchemy but
generally use PostgreSQL yourself.  I can maybe guess why there seems to
be this contradiction.  Perhaps PostgreSQL is better but too advanced for
the class you are teaching?  Can you clarify on which you think is the
better choice?  Thanks.

John Black