choice of web-framework

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sun Oct 22 14:27:23 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-22 15:26, Patrick Vrijlandt wrote:
> The version control I was referring to, is indeed users' data. I
> plan to use Mercurial for the source code. The questionnaires being
> developed will go through many revisions. The questionnaires being
> filled in, are enough work to have a provision for mistakes. The
> idea is much like the "revert" option that MoinMoin and other wikis
> provide.

Depends on how much version-control'y'ness you want.  Having a
"current version with previous version" and if "resurrect version
$CURRENT-$N as the most recent version" is sufficient, then it's
pretty straight-forward.  If you also want to implement diffing,
merging diffs between various versions, diffing more than a single
text-field blob (a model spread across multiple normalized tables,
versioning changes there), etc, you're looking at a whole different
game.

Additionally, one needs to consider how responses get tied to a
questionnaire.  If I make a questionnaire that reads

 "Do you like ice cream?"
 [ ] Yes
 [ ] No

and you answer "Yes", but then I edit that question so that it reads

 "Do you like to kick puppies?"

you have a problem if it keeps your "Yes" answer and thinks it's
linked to the "same" question.

All that to say that version-control is often domain-specific and
non-trivial.

-tkc