choice of web-framework

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 06:45:28 EDT 2017

On 22 October 2017 at 12:24, Patrick Vrijlandt <nieuws.pv at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I would like your recommendation on the choice of a web framework.
>
> The project is completely new, there are no histories to take into account
> (current solutions are paper-based). The website involves questionnaires
> that will be developed, filled out and stored. Users are not programmers or
> developers. They should be authenticated. Version control is required.
> Internationalization is not an issue. I expect that the project will add
> additional requirements and complexity later on that I can not foresee yet.
> I'm targeting a single deployment (maybe a second on a development machine).
> I usually work on Windows, but Linux can be considered.

If you intend to put this on a server, and you probably do since
you’re talking about web frameworks, a Linux machine is your best bet
for that. Windows isn’t a good platform for making web servers out of.
(Your development machine can probably run Windows.)

> I'm not afraid to learn a (=one) new framework (that would actually be fun)
> but trying out a lot of them is not feasible. My current goal is a
> demonstration version of the project as a proof of concept. I may want to
> hand it over to a commercial solution at that stage.
>
> I'm an experienced python programmer but not an experienced web developer. A
> few years ago I read some books about Zope and Plone, but never did serious
> development with those. I currently maintain an intranet site in MoinMoin. I
> assume Zope could still be a potential choice, but it may have lost the
> vibrancy of a few years ago. Also, I would not know which version to choose
> (Zope 4, BlueBream, or something like Grok). The problem seems too
> complicated for micro frameworks like bottle of Flask. Django could be the
> next alternative.

Zope is effectively dead these days. IMO your best bet would be Django:

* built-in database support
* built-in user authentication support
* built-in administrator panel
* i18n support available for when you need it
* it’s a modern, friendly web framework

If you went with Flask, you’d end up with a pile of plugins (for auth,
for databases, for other things) and reimplement half of Django,
badly.

PGP: 5EAAEA16