right list for SIGABRT python binary question ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Oct 21 13:10:31 EDT 2017

On 17.10.2017 09:30, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 12:04:09PM +1100, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>
>>> is this the right list to ask for help in debugging a
>>> SIGABORT (?) happening on shutdown of a Python 2.7 script ?
>>>
>>> If not, which one is ?
>>
>> You should try here first.
>>
>> Please ensure you read and follow this first:
>>
>> http://sscce.org/
>>
>> and post a *minimum* example of your code. (Sorry for the redundant
>> instructions if you already know this, but you would be surprised how many
>> people don't.)
>
> Thanks. I'll work towards a postable example.
>
> Running a debug build of py27 gave me a first lead: this
> Debian system (Testing, upgraded all the way from various
> releases ago) carries an incompatible mxDateTime which I'll
> take care of.
>
> 	*** You don't have the (right) mxDateTime binaries installed !
> 	Traceback (most recent call last):
> 	  File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 87, in <module>
> 	    from Gnumed.pycommon import gmCfg2, gmPsql, gmPG2, gmTools, gmI18N
> 	  File "/home/ncq/Projekte/gm-git/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG2.py", line 34, in <module>
> 	    from Gnumed.pycommon import gmDateTime
> 	  File "/home/ncq/Projekte/gm-git/gnumed/gnumed/Gnumed/pycommon/gmDateTime.py", line 52, in <module>
> 	    import mx.DateTime as mxDT
> 	  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mx/DateTime/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
> 	    from DateTime import *
> 	  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mx/DateTime/DateTime.py", line 9, in <module>
> 	    from mxDateTime import *
> 	  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
> 	    raise ImportError, why
> 	ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.so: undefined symbol: Py_InitModule4

This error suggests that you have 32- and 64-bit versions of
Python and mxDateTime mixed in your installation.

Py_InitModule4 is only available in the 32-bit build of
Python. With the 64-bit build, it's called Py_InitModule4_64.

Since you're getting the same error from faulthandler,
this is where I'd start to investigate.

"nm" will list all exported and required symbols. As first step,
you should probably check the python binary for its symbols and
see whether it exports Py_InitModule* symbols.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Oct 21 2017)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/