how to read in the newsreader

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Oct 16 11:44:12 EDT 2017

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 October 2017 at 15:41, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Point your newsreader to news.gmane.org,
> >
> > That, IMO, is the only sane way to read mailing lists.  If a mailing
> > list isn't carried on gmane, I don't bother with it.
>
> Unless you work regularly on multiple PCs, as there's no newsreader I
> know of that maintains your settings (what articles you have read, in
> particular) across multiple installations. And gmane's UI sucks.
>
> For that situation, reading mailing lists as mails in gmail is the
> best option I've been able to find (not ideal, but adequate).

I read newsgroups using tin, a text-mode/command line newsreader.  I
always run tin on my home desktop machine, even if I'm away from home
by using ssh.  So I maintain my settings that way.  By the way tin
*is* mouse away even though it's a text mode program.

For reading mailing lists (and all my mail for that matter) I use mutt
which is also a text mode program.  It makes reading mailing lists
easy because it provides threading etc.  I use like I use tin, alway
on my desktop machine using ssh where necessary.

--
Chris Green
·