unorderable types: list() > int()

Andrew Z formisc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 00:23:11 EDT 2017

Hello,
pos = {"CLown":10,"BArbie":20}
I want to return integer (10) for the keyword that starts with "CL"

cl_ = [v for k, v in pos.items() if k.startswith('CL')]
cl_pos = cl_[0]
if cl_pos > 0:

   blah..

There are 2 issues with the above:
 a. ugly - cl_pos = cl_ [0] .  I was thinking something like

cl_ = [v for k, v in pos.items() if k.startswith('CL')][0]

  but that is too much for the eyes - in 2 weeks i'll rewrite this into
something i can understand without banging against the desk.
So what can be a better approach here ?

b. in "cl_pos > 0:, cl_pos apparently is still a list. Though the run in a
python console has no issues and report cl_pos as int.

Appreciate.