Heroku (was Re: Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"])

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 20:26:13 EDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet at bsb.me.uk> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>> I abbreviated that down to nothing, but since you ask, here's a really
>> REALLY simple run-down of how to use Heroku:
>
> I think I see what you mean now.  You meant no configuration is needed
> because you use (or buy?) a cloud service that's all set up for it
> already?

Correct - because the setup needed is completely generic.

> From this and other posts I think the position is that I do need to do
> some server configuration (and essentially install a proxy server) to
> run Python web applications on my typical Apache set-up.  And I would
> then have to shop around for suitable hosting that is already set up for
> running them.
>
> <snip instructions>
>
> Thanks.  That's not quite what I was after but it's good to know how to
> do that should I want to that later.

Yep, it's not too hard.

And that's why it's cleaner to work with Python than PHP. To use
custom URL routing in PHP, you have to use custom server rules; to use
custom URL routing in Python, you use  "@app.route(...)" lines inside
your app, and perfectly standard server rules.

ChrisA