Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"]

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Thu Oct 12 13:15:14 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-12, Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet at bsb.me.uk> wrote:
> I see.  If I'm reading this right, the app requests are passed through
> to another server -- uWSGI.

Yes. It doesn't have to be uWSGI; it could be gunicorn, or you could
probably use Apache's mod_fcgid. As a last resort you could use CGI,
which wouldn't involve any long-running processes, which has the
benefit of not requiring any special support from your host but the
disadvantage of most likely being very slow indeed.

> How does this typically work on low-cost hosting?  I may be able to set
> up the ProxyPass locally (i.e. in .htaccess) but I won't be able to
> write /etc/uwsgi/apps-available/appname.ini.  Maybe there are a locally
> defined .ini files that uwsgi reads?

You need to choose a host that supports one of the relevant systems
mentioned above. If you already have a host then it's possible they
already do, otherwise you may need to choose another.