Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"]

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Oct 12 08:30:53 EDT 2017

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> BTW, C++ tries to be a bit stricter about "const". It declares two
>> separate prototypes:
>>
>>    const char *strstr(const char *, const char *);
>>    char *strstr(char *, const char *);

>> Also, in C++, string literals are "const char *".
>
> So basically, C++ fixed some problems in C, in the same way that
> Python 3 fixed some problems in Python 2. Yet for some reason Python 3
> is killing Python, but C++ isn't killing C. Not sure how that works.

I have bitten the bullet and do my Python development in Python3.
There's no going back.

As far as C++ goes, though, it didn't succeed in becoming the
"fulfillment" of C programming. In fact, it started a whole new
religion. C and C++ share the same Old Testament but have completely
different virtues and tenets.

I'm not convinced by the tenets of C++.

Marko