OT: MPC-HC project ending? [Re: Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"]]

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 20:38:17 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS Off-topic:
> I have a related observation regarding popularity of software.
> There is such a program "VLC", which is a video player. Some would
> think it is sort of best free player, etc. I was also under impression,
> but then I've found a video player called "MPC-HC".
> I have started to use it and quickly understood that it is by far more
> superior player than VLC, literally by all core parameters - performance,
> codec support, customizable key bindings with a lot of internal commands.
> (Remark for Linux users: there is no Linux version of that player, it
> is Windows-only)

I went to https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/
and it says:

<quote>

 July 16, 2017  XhmikosR

v1.7.13, the latest, and probably the last release of our project…

For quite a few months now, or even years, the number of active
developers has been decreasing and has inevitably reached zero. This,
unfortunately, means that the project is officially dead and this
release would be the last one.

…Unless some people step up that is.

So, if someone’s willing to really contribute and has C/C++
experience, let me know on IRC or via e-mail.

Otherwise, all things come to an end and life goes on. It’s been a
nice journey and I’m personally pretty overwhelmed having to write
this post.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in any way all these years;
Remember, MPC-HC is an 11-year old project.

</quote>

--
boB