Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 14:30:07 EDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:22 AM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-10-11, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> People love showcasing stupid examples like that. But how often do you
>>> REALLY make declarations that complex? That's not technically
>>> strawmanning, since C syntax does indeed include that, but you're
>>> cherry-picking the most extreme example.
>>
>> Sure. Statistically most declarations are going to be things like 'int'
>> or 'char*. But more complicated ones (usually not as bad as the
>> example), crop up often enough to be a nuisance.
>
> The easiest way to make stuff like that readable is to unroll them
> into a sequence of typedefs.  But, a lot of people never really
> learn how to do that...

The most complexity you'll usually see is a function that
accepts/returns a pointer, and those generally should be typedef'd.
But even if not, they're still not anything like as bad as the
mythical examples that get touted as "why C is bad" or "why variable
declarations are bad" or "why type declarations are bad".

ChrisA