Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"]

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Wed Oct 11 10:14:35 EDT 2017

On 11/10/2017 14:16, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> C++'s main problem is that it tries to solve the wrong problem. A C++
> compiler seeks to make sure your program doesn't have bugs. That noble
> (but futile) goal makes it painful to program in C++.

It's painful to program for lots of reasons, I don't think that is the
main one.

The ideas behind C++'s many features individually make perfectly good
sense - on paper. Until you look at ghastly examples of C++ source code
and it really hurts your eyes.

> Python and C don't try to protect you. In return, you get syntactic
> convenience that probably enhances the quality of your programs.

Python, maybe. C syntax isn't as painful as C++ but I still have a lot
of trouble with it. (Eg. the variable declaration 'char(*(*x[3])())[5]'.
The name of the variable can be found lurking in that lot somewhere, but
what's the type?) Not so convenient.

--
bartc