The "loop and a half"

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Mon Oct 9 08:43:19 EDT 2017

On 09/10/2017 05:49, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Generally, my preferred editor is nano, since it lives within those
> requirements but still has a decent UI. It's not always available
> though, and it's useful to know how to manage without it. But even
> though you won't always be doing this sort of thing, it's definitely
> something that a *programming language designer* should be aware of.
> Basic networking is critical to any modern language.

That's an odd opinion given that modern languages don't even want to
have basic input and output as part of the language; they're offloaded
to a library. And in your example, which I don't really understand, it
seems more like the headache of the application.

(Where a language allows elements of a program to be disseminated across
a network, that's rather different, and an advanced feature that only
some languages might have. Not all.)

--
bartc