The "loop and a half"

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 05:23:16 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:15 PM, alister via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

>>> That's also a possibility, but I have yet to find one that can SSH to a
>>> server as a non-root user and then sudo to edit the files.
>>
>> If it's just a matter of "finding one", look no further and try out
>> Emacs's TRAMP :-)
>>
>> ciao, lele.
>
> or if you want the luxury of a GUI editor simply ssh to the remote
> machine & run the editor there (using X forwarding to route the display
> to you local PC)

That assumes that you have a GUI editor installed on the server, with
all the libraries it requires. Not always the case - especially if you
have multiple admins, some who like GNOME and some who like KDE... how
many editors and how many subsystems are you going to install?

ChrisA